Sunday, May 6, 2012

Excuse Me Sir, Your Car is on Fire...




Today, as I was driving home from the mall, I saw something that totally freaked me out:

A person in legitimate danger.

I was driving straight, and the person to my right was in the turning lane and was driving straight as well up to his turnoff. I noticed some smoke coming from his car. No big. Smoke comes from cars all the time, it might not mean anything. But as we were driving forward I saw what I thought were sparks beneath his car...but he was too close for me to tell. And then, as he was completing his turn I could see that the underbelly of his car was on fire. Like there were legit orange flames beneath his car. I couldn't believe it. I was stunned, like "what do I do?!".  And in a moment, my chance to alert him to his situation was gone. He was outside my sphere of influence. If I beeped now, he wouldn't hear me. If I rolled down my window and screamed, it would be in the wind. The moment had simply passed, and so I prayed. I was in the car praying out loud that his car wouldn't explode (I'm not sure if that was a possibility or not...I'm no mechanic), I prayed that he was turning to pull over, because he noticed that his car was smoking. I was praying that he smelled something, and was about to stop. I prayed and I hoped. I hoped that my inaction wouldn't cost that man. And I was sad.

And then I thought: do I do this everyday?

"So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all men, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith" - Galatians 6:10

I'm sitting here wondering how many opportunities have I wasted? On both physical and spiritual planes. When this incident happened, and I found myself driving on, relaxing  back into my own life and my own business, I realized: this will be a blog. I had one, and then two thoughts* regarding this issue: 

Thought One: Christian Accountability 

"Christian Accountability" has been reduced to a catch phrase that means: I go to small group/bible study and when my life is hard...I share. But, but, but what about when your car is on FIRE? I have been in situations where I have had a reciprocal share relationship with someone who's "car was on fire", and I never said a word...and then they turned. And they were outside my sphere of influence and I was left wondering and praying. Later on, I just relaxed back into me and everything was OK. But that's not okay, I have to stop thinking: "it's none of my business your car is on fire." And I have to stop assuming "she knows her car is on fire." 

"Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself." - Galatians 6:1

I have qualms about doing this...for the aforementioned reasons (i.e. not my biz and they know right/wrong). What I'm concerned about is the susceptibility that Paul is talking about in the second sentence: and be careful not to fall into the same temptation. We're susceptible...to the sin our brother/sister suffers from, and to other sins that we are currently suffering from. And so we feel like it's best to be silent. But it's best to speak up, while it is still today: 

"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness."- Hebrews 3:13

In closing, if you know me, please tell me if my car is on fire. I would consider it a kindness. 

"Let a righteous man strike me—that is a kindness; let him rebuke me —that is oil on my head. My head will not refuse it..." Psalms 141:5



*The second thought is part 2.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Too often we let opportunity pass - and not only when it comes to physical danger. We're timid to witness to others and to pray with them, timid to rebuke, and timid to give constructive criticism in order to help others because it's a reflection on ourselves - we often are too prideful to take the same treatment. Hopefully we can all learn to be like the wise man in Proverbs 9...

    Proverbs 9:9 - Instruct the wise and they will be wiser still; teach the righteous and they will add to their learning.

    ReplyDelete