Monday, August 5, 2013

Why are You so Jealous?!



Suddenly nauseous. Hands sweaty as I pick up my blinking phone. Nervous. Hoping (desperately) not for bad news, but rather for status quo. This is the feeling I sometimes get when someone texts me or calls me with what I'm fearing is a revelation of their super awesome happy news. It's not that I don't want them to have happy news, or to be happy in general. I just know their news will make me reflect on my lack of news. And I will start to feel sad and dejected.

True story: I once was on an e-mail chain with 3 other girls. One girl was getting a new job. Another girl was buying a new house. And the third girl was embarking upon a new and exciting relationship. I wanted to reply with:

"I also have great news! ...I just saved a ton of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico!"

The thing is, that would have been a true statement; I was legitimately hype about my $46/mo comprehensive auto insurance! But, by comparison, it simply felt too lame so I kept it to myself and simply congratulated them (honestly) on their happy news. And...then I cried myself to sleep (Psalms 6:6). Just kidding. I didn't cry...that day.

Sometimes though, the comparisons game can create a much more disastrous reaction.

Comparisons and the envy (or in some cases, the gratitude) that it makes us feel can KILL our faith and make us do things that are horrible. It made me think loosely of Joseph, who is next in the Hebrews 11 series.

There's so much to this guy, that I feel like I have to write ALL about him before I get to his Hebrews 11 verse:

By faith Joseph, when his end was near, spoke about the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt and gave instructions concerning the burial of his bones.

It goes right to the end--literally to his last breath! But the beginning and the middle of the life of Joseph is really awesome. I can't fast forward Joseph! I won't!  If you've never read Genesis 37, I implore you to do so. It's pretty messed up. I'm going to give a quick rundown:
  1. Joseph is his father Jacob's golden boy and it makes his 10 brothers hate his guts- Genesis 37:4
  2. Joseph is oblivious to this hatred and tells them all about his dreams in which they are all bowing down to him. So they hate him even more - Genesis 37:5-11
  3. Joseph goes out to find his brothers tending sheep. They see him from afar and plan to kill him - Genesis 37:18-21
  4. They change their minds (killing is just too much) and decide throw him in a pit and then to sell him into slavery instead - Genesis 37:26-28
  5. They go back home and tell their father he was eaten by a wild beast. Jacob is devastated.  Genesis 37:31-35
So right off the bat, we have Joseph, a VICTIM of comparisons. Jealous of their father's love for Joseph. Jealous of his wardrobe. Jealous of his dreams. These 10 brothers are super sad and dejected, and as a result: super angry. Right here, with just this chapter, Joseph could play the "who's life sucks more" game and win hands down. But Joseph never plays! Sadly, though, just because you don't play, doesn't mean you're not in the game.

I think it's important to note that Joseph and his brothers are the origination of the tribes of Israel. These are God's people, and they are all in the game. But why?

What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight.- James 4:1-2

It's impossible to be both content and envious. To be both happy and jealous. We know this. But the non-spiritual manner in which we go about removing the envy and jealousy to get to contentment/happiness can be brutal.

And so begins a series within a series on the faith of Joseph. Who was content and faithful even following the pit.

But before we go there, think about who you've thrown in a pit...and why.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, excellent post. I look forward to reading the follow up.

    You see that John has a new car, you wish you had one too. Is this jealously? Maybe you get a second job so you can buy one of your own. Is this bad?

    On the other hand, you want John to lose his new car, regardless of whether or not that would do you any good. I have been guilty of this, although it is totally irrational. I wonder what the reason for these feelings are . . .

    ReplyDelete