Monday, November 11, 2013

Thessaloniki: Part 1

So we have moved on in our travels from Athens to the second largest city in Greece: Thessaloniki. We were determined to plan our departure from Athens well, so we wouldn't have the opportunity to blame any difficulties on "traveling mercies" or our lack thereof. Up until 10pm last night, we had no idea how we were going to get out of Athens. Since we couldn't figure out how to get to the bus station, we took the train by default. And it went swimmingly. There was one point at which we foolishly tried to put an over-sized bag in the overhead bins. We were too weak and too short to hoist it up and in. We were making an absolute mockery of ourselves, until someone kindly told us in English: "Excuse me...it is too big, you have to put...there" and we saw some free space for our bags.

On our way to taverna. Becca wore heels...
The trip was not short. It took about five and half hours by train, but we mostly slept. Upon arrival we tried to get out and do things. But there was a problem:  Generally, I have found that Greece makes me feel like an idiot. Why? Here I am illiterate. We can't even pronounce street names on signs due to all the unknown letters. Today we went to find lunch and couldn't read anything on the menu. There were no pictures! I'm the kind of person who needs pictures in order to get food! So we just ordered two souvlaki and took everything else he offered:

Guy behind counter: With pita?
Me: Sure, give us pita.
GBC: With fries?
Me: Oooh, yeah, fries too.

Had it not been for him, we would have just had a couple of chunks of meat on a stick.

Outside our taverna. A huge watering can!
We read an article called Top 10 Things to do in Thessaloniki, and it said "walk by the seaside." Since we only have two days we decided to live life to the fullest and hit the seaside even though it was a little cold and very overcast. The site also told us to buy a coffee for our walk. We bought cappuccino freddo (which we had heard was good)...we didn't know it was a chilled drink! So we walked along the cold boardwalk with cold drinks like idiots. The Greek experience! But two things checked off our to-do list. We also had a drink at a seaside bar (check) and ate at a taverna for dinner (check). Only 6 more items to tackle tomorrow!

We're trying to live an abundant last couple of days of this trip. And it made me think of the scripture:

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly. - John 10:10

Old church that can be seen from our balcony
You might be thinking "oh no! prosperity gospel!" but that's not really where I'm about to go. I think that after we become Christians, our spiritual lives can settle into a kind of ho-hum, I'm-just-trying-to-hold-on-til-Jesus-come kind of existence. I know this because sometimes I find myself in "maintenance mode", just trying to stick to my routine of prayer, quiet time, and small group bible study (because that's all I have to do right?).

It's a foolish way of thinking that is a thief, or sorts. It's like the Pharisees who told people to keep to the law to have relationship with God, robbing them of a full knowledge of Christ.

I'm on this trip for two reasons:  (1) because I want to, and (2) because I can. We're trying to hit on the 10 things to do in Thessaloniki because: We think that we can. So I'm going for it. Do I live my spiritual life like that?

--Pause--Is it super messed up that my natural life and my spiritual life seem separated? That there is a way that I can think that governs carnal things, and there is a way that I think that governs my relationship God? I think that in itself is a problem--Unpause--

I ask about living my spiritual life in that way because I sat down prior to this trip and thought: "where do I want to go?" And I started researching, checking things out on the internet, and I saw the Athens Classic Marathon. And I thought: wouldn't it be cool to run the original classic course?! And suddenly I wanted it.

What do I want spiritually? Where do I want to go in Christ Jesus? What role do I want to play in His kingdom? What do I want to accomplish? Why isn't it as easy to have an abundant life in Christ as it is to check 10 Things to do in Thessaloniki off my list? Per scripture if I want to, then I can. So what's the problem? These are not rhetorical questions; I want answers.

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. - James 1:5

Lord, please bless me with wisdom. I want to do everything that I can do in your kingdom and be everything that I can be by your grace. I want to live the abundant life. "This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent" (John 17:3). Do I really know? Help me to know you more, to increase in knowledge and not settle down into "maintenance mode." I want to be built up, repaired, restored, and enlarged in every way possible. In Jesus name, Amen!


because...a Minion cake is awesome







No comments:

Post a Comment