Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Prince of Egypt


It's a new year, and so I want to take a new approach to writing my blog. Tuesdays. On Tuesday nights I'm just going to go for it. I spend so much time thinking about what I'm going to write that nothing much gets written. This was not the case when I was on vacation in Italy/Greece; I wanted to write a blog every day so I did it. No matter what. I want Tuesdays to be like that.

First, I have to finish my Hebrews 11 series. I can't believe that it crossed out of 2013. But, honestly, 2013 was a really dark time for me spiritually. It was strange that I was so focused on the subject of faith when my own faith was languishing. There are a lot of things that could mark 2013:
  1. I ran the Marine Corp Marathon
  2. I ran the Athens Classic Marathon in Greece
  3. I vacationed in Rome
  4. I went to the Austin City Music Festival with my bestie
  5. I finally went to Ingrid Michaelson's Holiday Hop in NYC
  6. I spent a long weekend in Miami
  7. I finally moved into a 1br apartment
...and the list could go on. But in my mind, the year was marked by a long stay in a spiritual valley of despair. It's hard to write this sort of blog when you're feeling that kind of way. What's weird though, is that I believe everything in my blog, and it was very therapeutic. However, I skipped a lot of therapy sessions. There was a time when I thought: "do more, spend more, go more places" was the answer to all of my bad feelings. But if I surrounded myself with people, I still felt lonely. If I spent a ton of money on vacations, concerts, or material possessions, it only left me feeling woefully broke. After every marathon I ran, I needed to run another one to feel like I achieved something. The more I focused on things that were supposed to create a "rich life" the more I became aware of my spiritual poverty.

 Which leads me to my part two on Moses:

By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, choosing rather to endure ill-treatment with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin, considering the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt; for he was looking to the reward. By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king; for he endured, as seeing Him who is unseen. By faith he kept the Passover and the sprinkling of the blood, so that he who destroyed the firstborn would not touch them. By faith they passed through the Red Sea as though they were passing through dry land; and the Egyptians, when they attempted it, were drowned. 
- Hebrews 11:24-29

Background (in case you don't know about Moses): 
  • Pharaoh orders every male Hebrew child to be killed (as Jewish population control)
  • Moses' parents put him in a basket in the Nile to save him
  • He is rescued by Pharaoh's daughter and raised as a Prince of Egypt (the link is to the animated movie on Netflix Instant Play. It's awesome!)

 But then...something happened: 

Now it came about in those days, when Moses had grown up, that he went out to his brethren and looked on their hard labors; and he saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his brethren. So he looked this way and that, and when he saw there was no one around, he struck down the Egyptian and hid him in the sand. - Exodus 2:11-12

How did he make this decision? Up to this point, Moses had been living what many would call a "rich life." He was a prince! He had money, chariots, probably had all the girls he wanted. He was living! But after this slave incident...things got hard. Pharaoh found out and wanted to kill him! So in 48 hours he went from prince to fugitive. From palace living to homeless. To never having to work a
He looks so happy...in his chariot
day in his life to a migrant worker (Exodus 2:15-22).

How did this happen? How did his priorities get all mangled up that what became important to him was "Let my people go!" How did he give up luxury and ease for poverty and difficulty? How did he give up a sure position for, "take thy staff and do my wonders"?

Moses saw beyond the present. He saw beyond his royalty to the reproach of Christ. He saw beyond the king (pharaoh) that he could see, to the King he couldn't see. Since his heart was set on the future, the luxuries of his present seemed...worthless. 

For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. - Romans 8:7-8

Moses' mind was no longer set on his ease. It was no longer set on his pleasures. But that's my default mode. Happiness = stuff. But actually happiness = chasing the will of God. Chasing His mission for you. Moses was hesitant at the burning bush, but look at how he led those people across that sea. I wish I was a time traveler. I wish I could walk across with them. Like maybe then I'd know that the answer to my issues isn't a concert. It isn't a trip to South Africa. It's not new boots. It's not a new haircut.

It's higher. It's harder. 

It's the way of faith.

I want to mark 2014 with faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment