Saturday, April 12, 2014

Easter, Cherry Blossoms, Poison...You Know?

I took (and edited) this picture!
It's a beautiful day in Washington, D.C. On days like today it's hard to write a blog. It's probably even harder for someone to read a blog. Especially when sunshine, blue sky, and cocktails-on-a-patio are beckoning. I've already done the Cherry Blossoms and brunch today, so now I'm literally fighting a nap, so I just have to start typing. I apologize, in advance, if this is senseless drivel.

So, over the past couple of weeks, I've been watching a lot of K-dramas (per usual) and I noticed something: sacrificial death is theatrical gold. Oh, how we cry! Last week I was watching John Q (which was preposterous), and that moment when he says "Take my heart", though ridiculous, is deeply moving. In the movies, I've always thought that it had to be excruciatingly painful for the benefactor. If someone, today, were to voluntarily die in my place...I think I'd lose it. Like, I don't think I would ever stop thinking about that person's death in exchange for my humdrum existence. It would haunt me.

Then I thought: why is the death of Jesus so different?
  1. It's not sad. It's cause for celebration. This is the one person I'm glad to know died for me.
  2. I'm not all that haunted. I don't go through every day thinking about the fact that Jesus died on the cross for my sins (and those of the whole world).
The first difference is okay, and even biblical:

But Mary was standing outside the tomb weeping; and so, as she wept, she stooped and looked into the tomb; and she saw two angels in white sitting, one at the head and one at the feet, where the body of Jesus had been lying. And they *said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?” - John 20:11-13

Mary was crying outside of an empty tomb...not understanding why it was empty. If it's empty because marauders have stolen His body to further desecrate it...yeah, that's cause for major tears. But if it's empty because 1) Christ died for her sins, 2) her sins were, in fact, taken but 3) He was powerful enough to overcome the death those sins required?!!? Then it's time to rejoice. That's a big deal.  It's never like that in the movies. In the movies, when someone dies saving someone else, it's kind of a done deal. And that's devastating.

The second difference is not okay, and that's biblical:

...and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.
 - 1 Corinthians 11:24-26

Holy Communion is your haunt. It's your chance to reflect on (and publicly declare) the fact that Jesus died for you. You remember it so vividly in that moment. I often think: "Jesus died a criminal's death...for me." It gets me every time. Died like a thief. Like a murderer. For what? Let's be honest: I would never expect someone to die for me (except you Mom, sorry). I don't think it's low self-esteem to say that. I just don't think I'm a big enough deal for someone to say: "I volunteer as tribute!" Nah...that type of sacrifice is rare. Very rare. 


In one of my dramas, this chick drank a cup of poison that was meant for her fiance. She KNEW it was poison. She knew it! She saw the drink get poured, but at the last moment, she switched their cups. And I was thinking: "NOOOO! Dummy, just pour the drink out!" Like, why drink it? Because someone had to. "No thanks" wasn't an option in that situation. Someone had to drink. 

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly.
 - Romans 5:6

I was praying earlier about "drinking my cup." I don't know what it is that God has purposed for my life, but I know I've spent a lot of years being afraid of it. What's in my cup? Is the boogie man in my cup? I feel like I'd be better positioned to drink it if I knew what it was. Jesus knew what was in his cup. I was literally praying this prayer--complaining that JC knew what was in His cup while I am oblivious, when it hit me: It wasn't even His cup. It was mine!

In the garden of Gethsemane, Jesus prayed about "this" cup. 
...“My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will.”  
...He went away again a second time and prayed, saying, “My Father, if this cannot pass away unless I drink it, Your will be done.” - Matthew 26: 39, 42

I love this. This isn't His cup, but He knows that what's in the cup can only be dealt with by Him drinking it. If He drinks it, I won't have to. If He drinks it, you won't have to! I felt somewhat ashamed for my lame prayer. Like, whatever is in my cup is not nearly as bitter as what Jesus drank. He drank my cup. He drank my poison. And that's Easter dude! I think it's amazing when you think of how fun we've made Easter. I have a whole day planned after church: Easter brunch, maybe a hike, blah, blah, blah. I need to make sure I set aside time to truly ponder my cup. Do I have struggles? Yep. Do I have probs? Of course. But that cup...is empty. 

Rejoice.






1 comment:

  1. Awesome post, and some great thoughts. Enjoyed reading it :)

    ReplyDelete