Monday, June 21, 2010

Where do you get your advice from?

Okay, I'm super random and super sarcastic today, so I have to pose the question: where do you get your advice from? Or if we want to be accurate: From whence do you receive advice? (can't end a question with a preposition...or can you?!)

Advice [ad-vahys] noun - an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc.

I HATE advice. I know that's messed up, because there is many a Proverb about "good counsel." For example:

Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end - Proverbs 19:20

Let's not get it twisted though, in verse 21, it clarifies that the "counsel of the Lord, that shall stand." Other counsels?...They might leave you twisting in the wind.

I was just doing some random googling of a question that is plaguing me and noted that there is a startling number of people seeking advice, DAILY, from some yahoo named Yahoo! (hahaha, that was super cute, wasn't it?!). But really, if you pose any single question to Google, an answer will appear for you at Yahoo! For example: Should I Stop Beating My Wife?

Admittedly, there are three results, two of which (when you read the body of the question) refer to beating her at chess, as opposed to beating her in the face. However, that third post is suspiciously deleted by the Yahoo! community. You know what that means? ...Neither do I. Though, it could mean that someone was fool enough to ask Yahoo! if they should stop punching their wife in the stomach. Maybe...?

Let's try another one: Should I Keep My Baby?

Are you kidding me?! Someone asks a stranger a question that affects three lives for the REST of their lives. The "Best Answer" Chosen by other strangers begins with:

If I were you, I'd keep it. But that is a very personal decision!

And ends with:

You would be surprised how easily a baby wins people over.

Wow. "You would be surprised how easily a baby wins people over"...that's a winner. This is by far THE BEST advice I've ever heard. Even better than "don't put your fingers in electrical sockets." This here advice, could possibly save a baby's life. Or flat out doom it. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry. So I'll just shake my head.

I wonder if a study has been conducted: Why People Ask Yahoo! for Answers. I googled it, no formal study. However, there was a small, heartbreaking comment:

I do it because i have nobody to talk to at all and it’s like an outlet sometimes

Awww...I feel terrible now. Don't you? I mean, if you agreed with my lighthearted, sarcastic tone up top...you have to right? It's messed up that people don't have the luxury of getting bad advice from their friends and family. They have to get it from people they can't blame and hold accountable for the consequences that result from the horrible advice. Super tragic.

...



1 comment: