Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Heading Home Soon...

So, one day last week at work, I was overcome with homesickness. What do I mean by overcome? I mean I was at the workplace, at the lunch table, eating a salad, having this conversation:

Me (after talking about how much I miss my fam): I think I've talked myself into a tizzy...I'm going to cry!
Claudette: Don't cry! Talk about something else!
Me: I can't think of anything...YOU talk about something else!
Claudette: blah, blah, blah
Me: Excuse me, I'm just going to go to the restroom...cry, and come back.
Claudette: ...okay

I don't believe in crying at work. I almost don't believe in crying EVER (except on all manner of movies, and while reading exceptionally moving books).

So I requested some time off, and on Tuesday I will fly away to Toledo, OH -- the 8th poorest city in the country. Home sweet home. Now that Urban Dictionary definition is true if you've only ever visited Toledo. If you've lived there, it has it's own brand of charm. The Toledo Zoo is really nice! The Centennial Mall at the University of Toledo (my undergrad alma mater) is one of the "100 most beautifully landscaped places in the country." Not to mention we have Tony Packos!

Admittedly, it sucks, that's why I'm gone...but it's great too! I can't completely turn my back on the place of my birth! Which is why I'm headed home to see the family and friends I left behind.

So, once my 3 best friends (Tummie, Tagee, and Crystal) got wind of my arrival they called me up conference-call style to set up a sleepover. Sleepovers ALWAYS include music playing and a movie along with all of our regular conversation. However, over the years we have grown and changed, and one of us has turned her back on secular entertainment. This is the individual hosting the sleepover, so NO secular movies and definitely NO secular music will be played in her home. Understood. Now...I'm a Christian. I have nothing against Christian-themed movies. I do however, have something against bad acting, bad lighting, ridiculously bad effects, and just flat-out bad scripts. I won't be subjected to that. In times past this has resulted in some annoying viewing experiences, and I REFUSE to be put to sleep prematurely by the likes of Fireproof (I won't lie. Fireproof wasn't TERRIBLE, but the acting. The acting!). We also once watched The Secret...which is NO "secret" at all! I get mad just watching the trailer again. The secret is just good old fashioned faith, except used to get a great parking spot every time you go to the mall (eyes rolling). --Pause-- Faith is crazy powerful. I know that. And I think that, as Christians, we often live beneath our privilege because of our lack of a greater measure of faith than we received when we first believed. We need to grow. That is valid. The presentation of this film and the way it circumvents God bothered me--UnPause-- We once watched Christian stand-up comedy. I could hear my pillow beckoning me soon after the first joke. Just because something is Christian doesn't mean it has to be wack. So now I'm on a search for awesome Christian films. So that maybe from now on, regardless of the host, we'll watch a Christian movie during our sleepovers. Maybe it won't be Oscar-worthy, but at least it won't be worthy of the dumpster. That's all I ask. Which I feel isn't too much.

This is the movie that my friend told me we are GOING to watch/ She is so bossy!!! But little does she know...:



This is EXACTLY the type of film I fear!! First off, I don't want to see another Left Behind type flick. Why?

A. It's been done (In a movie called Left Behind starring Kirk Cameron--which was wretched)
B. It's not really all that biblical
C. I hate scare-tactic evangelism (even in movie form)
D. The title says this is a 90 second preview when it is, in fact, one-minute-and-fifty-one-seconds!!!!

If I am forced to watch the above...I'll get my sleepover kicks by laughing the movie to scorn. TO SCORN! However, that's the stuff that our sleepovers are made of. Other notable bad movies we watched during sleepovers:

1. In Search of a Midnight Kiss (my pick)
2. Really bad bootleg of Butterfly Effect (Tummie's pick)...this was a great movie though.
3. Hard Candy (Crystal's pick) This one was so bad, that I told people it was good just so they would suffer as I had suffered.
4. The Edukators (Tagee's pick) It was bad AND subtitled.
5. Scream 4 (I can't even find a trailer for this because it was a generic FAKE Scream; Tummie's pick).

I'm so excited for home!!!

3 comments:

  1. haha that video is pretty cray cray. i think we could make something better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you want to make a movie SO badly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "an apocalyptic movie like you've never seen before"? for reals? i didn't even know they made movies like this! OR that people watch them!!! oh my gosh, i'm so out of the loop. good thing i can follow your blog now to keep up. whew! thanks kristen!

    ReplyDelete