Sunday, September 5, 2010

Rest of 2010 Movie Review: I'M SO EXCITED!!!


Disclaimer: This post has a LOT of links, so remember: right click, open in new tab or window


As many of you know, I am the HUGEST movie buff. Last year, I watched every Oscar-nominated film prior to the airing of the awards show. And that was the year there were 10 nominees. I thought An Education should have won the top prize, but I'm not bitter.

So this Fall movie season is shaping up to be something awesome, and so I wanted to share my top 5 favorite fall trailers with you all, and hopefully...those of you who are in my neck of the woods will accompany me to a few shows:

Never Let Me Go (click link for trailer) - I'm very excited about this for three reasons:

  1. Carey Mulligan - This is who I believe was robbed for An Education. She deserved her Oscar! Maybe this is her second chance. Two years in a row...let's see her nominated. Plus...you know how I feel about short, snazzy haircuts!

  2. Keira Knightley - Have we seen this chick since Atonement? I've loved her in movies for years, and am excited to see her take another crack at the big award.

  3. Sally Hawkins - OMG! I love her! I love her! I love seeing Sally's career take off. She's moving from bit roles, to leading roles (Happy-Go-Lucky) , to important roles. She was also in An Education, and she's going to rock out this movie as Miss Lucy.

Not to mention, this is from the author of The Remains of the Day, which was adapted into a beautiful film that is one of my all-time favorites. I'm thinking movie night with the roomies... And on top of that, what are "donations"?! Smells like sci-fi, and I can't wait!

The Tillman Story

This true-life tale of the death of NFL star Pat Tillman looks REALLY thought provocative, and eye-opening. I love movies like that. I'm not big on documentaries, but I'll see them if I think it's going to really get inside my head. This documentary has that potential. This won't play in small towns like Toledo, OH or Valparaiso, IN so people in D.C. and Chicago should thank their lucky stars that they'll have the opportunity to support this film in theaters. The trailer alone sparks heated debate, but I'll save my opinion until I've seen the film in its entirety.

Conviction
In a word: Hilary.

Is the Swankster going for THREE?! First off, Hilary Swank is one of my favorite actresses. She's silver screen magic in my opinion (umm...ahem...The Core, 11:14, P.S. I Love You, The Reaping, and countless other trash notwithstanding). All my love for her comes from The Next Karate Kid, Boys Don't Cry, and Million Dollar Baby. The latter two messed me up! I've never cried SO HARD; I went to bed disturbed and with my thoughts all scattered. And those two movies, of course, were how she earned the TWO Best Actress Academy awards that she possesses. Two best actress wins at her age is phenomenal. She's phenomenal, and...she's going for three.

Due Date

Hey, I like comedies too!! Though this will not be in the Oscar race...not even on the sidelines of the race, it looks worthy of my $11. I mean, who doesn't love RDJ, and Zach Galifianakis has YET to let me down. Has he let you down? I mean, he's like a comic genius.

Black Swan

This trailer is NUTS! First of all, who has seen a bad Natalie Portman flick? Come on...who?! She picks and chooses wisely. She's not all over the box office, we see her once, twice, three times a year TOPS (and some years we don't see her at all), and every time it is a superb performance. I love psycho thrillers. I love psycho-sexual thrillers. And this looks like one of those two...WAIT! I saw a bad Natalie film, I'm not sure it's bad...but it bothered me. Maybe it was the subject matter (the Spanish Inquisition): Goya's Ghosts. Enough said.

Well, that's five, but I want to see Blue Valentine. Currently, there's not a good quality trailer available, and so I'm not even sure I want to see it, but it stars Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. Ryan Gosling...I heart you! I mean, he's super hot, and a very romantic actor. Michelle Williams...have we seen her since Heath Ledger's demise? A little, but not a lot. It's nice to see her out working again!

Let's not play games, clearly I'm excited about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, but we don't have to talk about that at length...do we? DO WE?!!






No comments:

Post a Comment