Tuesday, January 10, 2012

But...she's a whore!



So over the weekend I saw an article called "Is God going to hook me up online?" And I thought: meh.

I've had my run-ins with online dating, and honestly it has only led to awesome bad date stories, rather than true love. However, I can't deny that I know more than a couple of people who have met on eHarmony, Match, OKCupid, and are making it. So even though it's not for everyone, admittedly, it's for someone. BUT is God involved in your match-up? Is He? Really? That was kind of the crux of the article, and it has clergy and theologians from Christianity, Judaism, and Islam debating the point.

I don't know if God is going to hook you up online, but I know this: historically/from-a-biblical-standpoint, He is involved.

Level of involvement? Varies. Is He involved for everyone? I don't know. Was He involved in your relationship? No idea. Will He be involved in my relationships? Maybe/Maybe not. I've decided to embark on a study on God's involvement in relationships. I have a preconceived notion, that I don't care to share at this time...Instead I'm going to start with this food for thought:
---

We all know that God orchestrated the first hook up. Eve was literally made for Adam, from Adam, and breathed into by God. Adeve (Adam + Eve celebrity nickname) are the only couple in the Bible that I would refer to as easy"soul mates." And because they were easy, my series isn't about Adeve. My series is about:

The first time God spoke to Hosea he said:    "Find a whore and marry her. Make this whore the mother of your children." (Hosea 1:2 The Message)

I wanted to use The Message for that quote, because, it's so gritty. I mean, can't you see Hosea, looking up at the sky with an incredulous look on his face saying:

"...But she's a whore"?

Am I the only one with this imagery? Can't be...

I spend a lot of time praying about the type of person I want to meet and marry. Someone who has a heart for God, and who "gets" me. In Hosea's case, that would be asking too much. Because a whore--I'm guessing...I don't know for sure--probably wasn't a devout servant of the Most High, and I'm thinking she and Hosea didn't have much in common. But forget all that. The big point here is: God is involved. He just told Hosea to 1) Go find a prostitute*, 2) Marry her, and 3) Make her the mother of your children.

Involvement. It's undeniable.

More. Later.


*There is some theological debate over whether or not Gomer was a real prostitute/hoe. Regardless, God picked out Hosea's wife, so my point is made.




3 comments: