Sunday, January 29, 2012

Thieves, rot in hell!


Friday night I was robbed at gunpoint. Okay, I wasn't robbed at gunpoint. My car was broken into. My window smashed. My Garmin stolen out of the glove box.

I sincerely hope the thief finds and makes peace with Christ...just like in the olden days: on a cross! No, seriously, I'm kidding. I really wish this guy (or gal) the best. But it's hard to feel that way when you are the victim of theft.
  1. I pray that if he sold my Garmin for grocery money that he has food. 
  2. I pray that if he sold my Garmin so he could have a warm coat this winter, I hope he has a coat. 
  3. I pray that if he sold my Garmin for drugs...umm...I hope he doesn't OD? 
I don't know. It's a thin line. But in any case, I thank God that I wasn't hurt. That I wasn't carjacked. Thankful I wasn't actually robbed at gunpoint (because I probably would've said something stupid, and gotten shot). Because ultimately, a GPS is just a thing.

Money is just a thing.

Sometimes I think that because I'm a Christian, God should give me material stuff. Maybe I think it's not fair for some to have, and for me to have not. Someone else thought that as well:

Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”
 Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?” Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” - Luke 12:13 - 15

The younger brother in this scenario will have no material inheritance. He will not have the money or the status of his older brother who will get EVERYTHING. But Jesus said: you are not what you have. Say it to yourself: I am not what I have. 

It's a hard concept to grasp in American culture. In this "gimme" culture where my self-worth is determined by the job I hold, the car I drive, and the house I live in. A life based on "status." I sometimes fall into that trap myself, but we have to literally watch out for that type of greed in our hearts. It's possible that type of greed led someone to break into my car. It's possible that kind of greed could have made me far angrier than I was. 

...I really don't wanna me greedy.  





3 comments:

  1. So... you weren't actually robbed at gunpoint. You made that up so people would click on your blog.

    Then you started it off with "Thieves, rot in Hell!"

    Funny that, because it's not thieves that rot in Hell. It's liars. #Revelation21:8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa Anonymous, it was a JOKE, which I called out in the second sentence. And the whole "Thieves, rot in Hell" was a joke as well, as noted in the 2nd paragraph.

    But, my mercy is new every morning (Lamentations 3:22-23) but just in case it's not:

    Dear Lord, I'm sorry that I deceived my readers with my joke. Please forgive my lie. In Jesus name, Amen.

    (I said a longer version of this prayer with all sincerity). My M.O. is always harmless humor. Sorry you felt maliciously deceived.

    Thanks though! I've always wanted a contentious comment!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krissy K,

    Although the 'Rot in Hell' title might have been a bit strong, I love your blog and like how this post touches on how hard it is sometimes to love as we Christians are called to do so. This post takes us through the emotional ride that we as siinful beings all experience at times... Anger towards someone that wrongs us, reflection on this initial reaction, repentance, and then the ability to hope for the best for that person without judgement. Unfortunately, we usually miss that final step. It sure is easy to talk about loving our enemies and those that persecute us, but how often do I - or any of our Christian brethren - put this into practice? Bravo for doing so in this instance... I know it's hard to hope for the best for someone that just robbed you!!

    ReplyDelete