Thursday, March 22, 2012

I Can't Get No Satisfaction!



I have issues.

I realized this yesterday when I berated something that I love dearly. I do this all the time. I have something awesome. And then I destroy it in my search for the next best thing. I realized (just yesterday) that it was a pattern: I do this in my career, in my relationships, in my shopping. Nothing is ever good enough...for long.

We speak A LOT about contentment. Contentment is the young Christian's goal, or at least that is what you would think if you talked to them. And we have our favorite contentment scripture, courtesy of the Apostle Paul:

...I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.  
Philippians 4:12-13

The word "this" is bolded b/c I don't know why it says that. In most versions that word is "things." Let's go with that: "I can do all things." Maybe it's just me, but I have allowed a personal misinterpretation of that underlined phrase cause me to miss Paul's point. Because I have issues. 

I looked at that phrase and in my infantile mind thought: I can change things. I don't have to stay hungry, I don't have to suffer another day. I don't have to accept this situation or that circumstance because I can do all things, and God will supply me with the strength to carry that action out. I'm a superhero and my super power is God! But then I realized: Paul is in prison. Shouldn't he be bending the bars by this strength? That's why it's sometimes rendered:"this." The "this" is being hungry. The "this" is being in want. He's in prison...and he's telling people who are concerned about his circumstances that he can DO this, because his strength and his happiness isn't in: I'm eating prime rib tonight, and it's not in his high-thread count sheets. But he can go through anything, and have the strength to be content in every circumstance because God had made it so. That is deep to me. Paul has learned to live a life grateful for every blessing that God has put in it.

So I have to stop and look at the things that I have and truly love them. Truly appreciate today's blessing without anticipation of tomorrow's.

There is a common saying, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." It has a biblical counterpart: Wisdom is directly in front of  the discerning person, but the eyes of a fool run to the ends of the earth. (Proverbs 17:24). A smart person can look at what they have, see that it's good and cherish it. A dummy will search endlessly for the next best thing, thereby losing what they did have. 

I'm tired of being dumb.


1 comment: