Tuesday, August 12, 2014

I've Got This

 

 I sometimes wonder if my friends notice three very ridiculous things that I do all the time:
  1. I never ask for rides to and from the airport
  2. I never ask people to help me move
  3. If we're out to dinner, I'll never ask to taste your meal (and get sort of weird when you want to taste mine)
When it comes to the last one, I find that people think it's because I'm not a "sharer". "OH, you were that kid in kindergarten who wouldn't share blocks!" Maybe I was... maybe I wasn't, but that's not what it's about. I've ordered what I wanted. I have what I want. And that's that. If what I ordered was gross...then I swing by McDonald's afterwards or eat cereal at home. No need for your assistance: I've got this.

Taxicabs are my airport transportation. Two Guys and a Truck are real and they meet all my moving needs. Yes, those things cost more...but that's okay, because: I've got this.

I seem to think I'm self-sufficient. I'm not. I'm pretty bad at admitting need. But it gets worse when I become spiritually self-sufficient.  

Remember when I said my next blog series was going to be called "From the Dead"? I lied. Forgive me Father for I have lied. Instead it'll be about the Beatitudes, and this blog is about the first one:

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" - Matthew 5:3

For those who don't know, the Beatitudes are the opening words of the famous Sermon on the Mount. It's the first moments of hard-hitting, eye-opening, almost oxymoronic teaching that Jesus just pours out on His unwitting disciples. It's not the way to be saved, but it's how the saved should live.

And the very first one is a doozie: "Those who have nothing, will have everything." That's the gist of it. But it's not that this person is financially strapped. It actually has nothing to do with finances, but spiritually this person never says: I've got this.

The poor in spirit are those individuals who have become aware of their sinful unworthiness, and to the realization that they must depend on God for His mercy and grace:

For we through the Spirit, by faith, are waiting for the hope of righteousness - Galatians 5:5

The poor in spirit are spiritually bankrupt and are looking for a handout.

This is a hard thing because there are a lot of people (not just me) who don't want to depend on anyone for anything...at any time. It sounds negative, but " poor in spirit" is a positive spiritual orientation that is the adverse of the arrogant self-confidence that breeds self-righteousness. And let's just take a moment to say: self-righteous people are the worst. Self-righteous people always say: I've got it. 

It reminds me of a parable Jesus told Peter:

“A moneylender had two debtors: one owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. When they were unable to repay, he graciously forgave them both. So which of them will love him more?”
 - Luke 7:41-42

There are debtors who don't realize they are unable to repay. Or who is determined not to owe!  Spiritually. If the person who owed $50 loves a little, and the person who owed $500 loves a whole lot...how much does the person who still owes (or maintains that they never owed), and is determined to repay out of their own means love? 

It's hard to declare spiritual bankruptcy, because it's the point at which you realize there are no alternatives. It's the point at which you realize: I can't do this on my own, and the only person who can help me...I owe Him something!

Don't you hate that?! When there's a person who can help you, but you've recently played them, so it feels awkward to ask? You have to apologize first.

And cut. I hate apologizing as well. This Beatitude is too much. Impoverished and sorry? I'll pass.

...God knew you would say that.

In enters the Fruit of the Spirit: Love. The Fruit of the Spirit are supernatural abilities to do seemingly common things. But pure Love is anything but common.

First Beatitude = Poor in Spirit (an attitude towards God)
First Fruit of the Spirit = Love (an attitude we must develop towards God - Luke 10:27)

Why must we develop these attitudes toward God?

"For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit" - Galatians 5:17

You see? The primary enemy of the flesh is not other flesh...it's God. Our very nature fights against God. This is why scripture says we were enemies of God (Colossians 1:21, Romans 5:10).

Love reverses that situation. God's love for us, and our slightly crappy (but accepted) reciprocation.

"We love because He first loved us" - 1 John 4:19

True repentance (i.e. poverty of spirit) is borne out love. There's a not too old Korean drama where they say: "Love means never having to say you're sorry." It's called Love Rain and it totally ripped off of the 1970 film Love Story, which first brought us this flat out lie. Love means always saying sorry. Like always. 

It's that love in response to God's pure love that makes you unafraid and unashamed to be impoverished and sorry.

Each Beatitude is an attitude or state of being that is counter to natural human response. As such, supernatural intervention is required. Supernatural love is the first one.

...to be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment