Thursday, October 23, 2014

Extreme Transformation

Wow...
Every year I try to go through some type of transformation. I'll either start working out to change my body. I'll go on a crazy shopping spree to change my fashion style; yet come away more "broke" than "runway." I go on detoxes to free my body of "toxins." In a cyclical manner, I'm always attempting to transform myself into a healthier and more fashionable version of myself. Extreme Makeover: without the help.

I'm not a total failure every time. I lose a few pounds, I buy a few nice pieces at Bloomingdales and Theory, and I drink a couple of glasses of water spiked with organic apple cider, lemon, and cayenne pepper to "re-balance my pH levels." But believe me when I say, I'm not getting Extreme Makeover results. No. Me, personally, I need Chris Powell. But, generally, all people need is a little help. Enter: life coaches, personal trainers, stylists, etc. 

I'll admit, though, even without the help, it's not impossible. There are people who can do amazing things on their own. Out of sheer will, discipline, and determination. People who can put down the sweets and pick up a dumbbell. Transforming from unhealthy to healthy, from trashy dresser to fashionista, and from ALL the toxins to totally "clean" can be done. Unaided. But what about transforming from darkness to light? How does that happen? By sheer will, discipline, and determination?

Interestingly, yesterday at work, I got "Happy Diwali" treats! I was pretty pumped. Free sweets? Yes, please! And though I'm not Hindu, I really like the meaning of Diwali: it spiritually signifies the victory of light over darkness.

Light and darkness seem like new age religion. It seems sort of hippy dippy (at least, that's how I have perceived it). However, though not often brought to the forefront of Christian sermons, Christianity also deals in the light vs. darkness spiritual issue:

Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, “I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.” - John 8:12

I like this scripture quite a bit, because it doesn't say that the person who follows Christ will walk in the light. But rather, they will have this light. They possess this light. They will BE this light.

You are the light of the world... - Matthew 5:14

...for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light
 - Ephesians 5:8
 
What a transformation. Not only did we walk in darkness, we were darkness. We were transformed. Which brings me to the next beatitude:

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God." - Matthew 5:9

I find this one to be so interesting, because to an extent, at this Beatitude you have "arrived." It's not even the last one. But, in my opinion, the previous Beatitudes were the "journey." This one is the "destination." The beatitude that follows is what you can expect at that destination.  

If we think about people who embody the opposite of the Beatitudes: people who are pridefully arrogant, carefree, stubborn, pleasure seekers, merciless, and kinda two-faced are not generally people who get referred to as "peacemaker." That's just not one of the hats they wear. In fact, such people are often the instigators of strife. But when God is systematically purifying your hearts from such behaviors and attitudes, He's preparing you to make peace.
 
The more I read the Beatitudes, the more its seems like a message of transformation into the image of Christ, and it's done through the transference of His Spirit. This is how He can say, "I am the Light of the world" one moment, and we're the light of the world the next!

The peacemaker is called to carry on the work of the Prince of Peace, with the reward being the title of "son of God." Who else gets called "Son of God"? It's not hard to figure out what the end-game is here:

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name... - John 1:12

Power?

"...but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth." - Acts 1:8

The Beatitudes are an Extreme Makover...soul edition. It's not possible based on sheer will, discipline, and determination. I can't wake up and say: "from now on...I'm meek!" Nah. You need that help (that power) for this transformation. On our own, we're the opposite of the Beatitudes. Human nature is the antithesis of the Beatitudes. So it is unlikely that the Beatitudes represent some 8-step self-improvement plan. They're not a rulebook. They are a roadmap to a peculiar destination. And the Holy Spirit is the vehicle by which you reach that destination: Transformation.

From darkness...to light.


No comments:

Post a Comment