Wednesday, October 8, 2014

No Mercy


I can hold a major grudge.

Women's small groups (bible studies) are full of many cyclical conversations, one of which is: when to cut people out of your life.* Sometimes you have to let people go. How have I determined this? Emotions. Is that right? Probs not. However, we have ways of making merciless behavior seem like "the right thing to do" and later (after we've hurt folks) we struggle with the question: "was that the right thing to do?" So, I recently asked myself a new question: Am I merciful?

In truth, mercy is not in my every day vocab.

Mercy - compassionate treatment, especially of those under one's power

...Well, since literally no one is under my power, I should be off the hook! Yay! But mercy is also simply a disposition to be kind and forgiving. That seems applicable. Boo! If I had the other Beatitudes down (which I don't), this is where I'd fall apart. I have a history of cutting people off. I've felt hurt, betrayed and tricked...and said "no more!" And I meant it. It stuck. It was done (regardless of apologies). Am I merciful?

Sometimes I walk past homeless people on the streets, when I'm supposed to self-identify as a beggar--hungering and thirsting after righteousness. Am I merciful?

I'm quick to judge the sins of others and "get all 'remove the evil one from among you'", when I should be mourning my own sins. Am I merciful?

Why does it matter? Do I even have to get an answer to this question?

“Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy." - Matthew 5:7


I've been following the Bible in a Year plan, and when Matthew starts up...so much has changed since the end of the Old Testament! Except one thing: Jews remain under the domination of a world power. It's been 400 years since the prophecy of Malachi:

“But for you who fear My name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings; and you will go forth and skip about like calves from the stall. You will tread down the wicked, for they will be ashes under the soles of your feet on the day which I am preparing” - Malachi 4:2-3
God wants to upgrade you...like an iPhone

So, if you're them...you're expecting a sermon about trodding down the wicked (i.e. the Romans). That expectation is only natural. Instead they get this mercy speech. What was Jesus getting at? Why these words? I think it's because God wants to supernaturally change every natural thing about you. Everything that is "only natural" needs to be upgraded.

Human beings are not naturally merciful. God is merciful. Naturally, we can all commit acts of kindness. And we can forgive people (depending on what they did). But Jesus is raising the bar above isolated incidents.

Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you. - Ephesians 4:32

You know what the crazy thing is about God's kindness/mercy? It's self-propagating. David knew this, which is why he always said how it "endured forever"(Psalm 136).  Jeremiah knew it when he said God's mercies were new every morning (Lamentations 3:23).

Ephesians 4:32 commands us to forgive just like God does. How, in the world, do you do something just like God did it?! With the help of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22). It's impossible without God replacing the natural with the supernatural.

But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be the sons of the Most High, for He is kind to the ungrateful and the evil
- Luke 6:35 

Naturally, showing mercy to the ungrateful and the evil seems "weak", but supernaturally I know that when I am weak...then I am strong (2 Corinthians 12:10). Naturally, I'm not a fan of the ungrateful and try to steer pretty clear of the evil. But supernaturally, that person is at the top of my prayer list. Supernaturally, that's who I want to pour myself out for the most. Why? 
  • After recognizing our utter depravity
  • After crying out over our sin and separation from God
  • After being so hungry for His Holiness, which we can only receive by His mercy...

Mercy should be something we 1) recognize ourselves as being a recipient of, and 2) are eager to give out, because 3) we don't want the supply of mercy flowing to us to run out. 

Are you merciful?





*Maybe men's small groups have the same problem, but I wouldn't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment