Saturday, October 16, 2010

No Hiking, No Jumping off Cliffs. So...I Don't Need a Parachute






I'm supposed to go hiking today. However, my knee has sustained an overuse injury. Upon going to the doctor for a green light on the hike, I was given a yellow:

"A hike?! Sure, you can go...but it'll hurt." :'(

Brooke's guest comment: "we are really going to miss kristen today. like, we'll be hiking, but i'll really be crying more than walking."

Yes, that means Brooke and all the hikers are starting to mill around my house--I was the meeting location.  They're already having fun WITHOUT me (weeping). This looks like a really cool group. I'm missing out. Maybe it's worth banging up my knee some more...no.

Okay, enough sadness.
-----------

So on Thursday I saw my ultimate Girl Crush in concert: INGRID MICHAELSON! I must say, it made my life. I mean, the experience was the perfect amount of drama and awesomeness and it begins with:

Cab Ride of Doom

So I leave work at 5:15 to catch 6:00 doors for the concert. As a city girl (I've lived in big cities: Chicago/DC for the past 4 years) I have never quite gotten the hang of how to manage a cab driver. For shame. They always offer you options that you can't really pick between:

Cab driver: So do you want to take 18th or 12th?
As a city girl, I know this is a dirty TRICK. One way equals more fare for him. The other way equals reduced fare and happiness for me. The game is on! Usually I ask "which way is fastest?" but I always think they're lying to get more fare. So since the concert venue is at 8th and V, I think that logically 12th is closer and say "Take 12th."

35 MINUTES LATER we are at 12th and I St. (many letters from V) and I'm concerned.

Me: Is there a faster way?! (desperation creeps into my voice)
Cab driver: (With fake apologetic tone) We should have taken 18th...it would have been faster. But now, we just have to wait. 
...
Cabbie for the win.

However, I still arrived at 6:04 where my friend, Marie, was holding down our spot in the line that stretched around 9th street for a SOLD OUT concert. Anxiety down.

The Balcony

We weren't the FIRST people to walk into the show, and given our statures (both very short), there was no sense in standing on the floor. Taller people would simply obstruct our view. So we looked up and BEHOLD the balcony was barren. So we go up there and block off our spots right against the railing: perfect view.

But oh no...we're thirsty. And oh no...we have to use the bathroom. The concert vultures are circling...waiting for the opportunity to steal our gravy position. Vultures who came at 645 and expect to just amble up the railing for a spot that others waited in line hours ago to secure. We took note of a kindred spirit next to us, and made a pact to hold down our entire area. So Marie goes to the restroom, and IMMEDIATELY two people tried to roll up. I was like "hey, this is my friends spot...she JUST went to the restroom." So I had to spread myself out a little to hold both spots. Then two people came up to threaten Kindred who was holding it down for her husband. She politely told these girls there was "no room for them."

Girl: There's nobody standing here so there's plenty of room.
Kindred: I told you my husband is getting food and drinks, so this spot is taken. 
Girl: I mean, you can't just block off this space. 
Kindred: I came early, and stood in the line to get this space. My husband is just getting food and drinks. And you're right there's TONS of room, just not in the front.

Boo yah! Girls had to step. Now had this been a rap concert, people might've had to throw down (Note: throw down = fight). But because this is Ingrid Michaelson, who sings about everybody just wanting to be loved, violence was improbable.

Concert

This concert was really late starting, but ultimately excellent. I cried at her cover of R.E.M. "Nightswimming." I cheered for her new songs: "Parachute" and "Annihilate." And I rocked out on her heavy metal version of "The Way I Am." Ingrid is truly awesome. She's funny, she always wears her glasses...we're like...solid. She's my fantasy BFF.

Ingrid quote of the year: "This song is shiny and happy. It's like care bears pooping skittles onto Strawberry Shortcake's bonnet...while drinking tang on a flower."

I loved the concert so much, and was so freaked out that I cried that I wrote a poem...the title needs work:


Ode to Ingrid


Totally captivated by the beauty of your voice,
Melody so pure and perfect, a teardrop had no choice
But to make its way to the edge of my eyelids,
It ran down to the corner and slid…down the curve of my face
A testimony to my basking in the melodic grace of your tunes
Even the hardest heart isn’t immune…I need a music vaccination
To curtail the symptoms of my fascination with your songs.



Peace!!

No comments:

Post a Comment