Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Blog Catch-Up


Sometimes I'm deterred from blogging, because I can't think of anything funny. Life is inspiration, and my life...sometimes isn't that interesting. Or something interesting will happen, but I feel like I can't post it b/c it involves more than me. Of course, I could change names to protect the innocent, but people can still pretty much figure it out (if they live in Northern Virginia).

So here I am, almost 30 days from my last blog, with no material. So how about...


I'M TAKING SWIMMING LESSONS!!

I've told you before that I can't swim. Well, I'm trying to remedy this wrong. I've taken two lessons so far...and I guess I like it. What I don't like: The Locker Room.

There are people who are far too content to be naked in there. Hurry up and put clothes on! Why are you just chilling out in the buff? I mean...there are children running around! However, they are not perturbed. They are fascinated. I'm fascinated too:
  1. Enter locker room - You're naked
  2. Put my swim cap, goggles in locker and retrieve body wash and towel, turn around - Yep, you're naked
  3. Walking to shower - You're still naked
  4. Coming back from shower - Just as naked
  5. Change clothes turn around - Sigh, you're naked
I think that's weird.

OSAMA BIN LADEN IS DEAD!

He is?!! I guess I could write about that, but...eh...it's been done. I'm almost tired of hearing about it. I could sit here and spin conspiracy theories. I could quote Proverbs 24:17, or in contrast, talk about how giddy I am that OBL is no more. However, I find the whole discussion on that to be dehumanizing. For me, and for OBL. So, for me, it is already a historical occurrence. A significant occurrence? Yes. But history nonetheless. Prior to deciding to put this issue in the past, I was watching clips of families affected by 9/11 (crying at my desk, waxing patriotic, filling myself up with hatred). But where would that hatred go? Osama is dead, so it's wasted on him. And even if he were alive, is that how I want to spend any part of my life? Hating another person (who neither knows or cares about my hatred)? No. I attached this poem, b/c it kind of sums up how I want to spend my time on this Earth:

I had no time to hate, because
The grave would hinder me,
And life was not so ample I
Could finish enmity.
Nor had I time to love, but since
Some industry must be,
The little toil of love, I thought,
Was large enough for me.
--Emily Dickinson

WILLIAM & KATE GOT MARRIED!

Is that so? Well, I'll admit I couldn't quite drag myself out of bed at 4am to see the nuptials, but I caught some streaming video throughout the day. It was nice. I really enjoyed Kate's dress. Am I the only who thought it strange that her name is Catherine (with a "C")? Why not "Cate" (a la Blanchett)? Quirky. My only real question is this: why didn't they get married when Prince William was HOTT?! They waited until he was bald and shiny...But he's rich, famous, and clearly in love. You can't knock that.

I still wonder what made it all so interesting. Why do young girls all over the world get up, stay up, take off work to watch Kate marry William?

MAY SWEEPS

This is that magical time of year when all of our favorite TV shows build to an excruciating crescendo of action and drama, to leave us begging for more come September. It is also the time right before awesome summer seasons are ushered in to offer us comfy, housebound escapes from beaches, beer gardens, lake houses, and the like (The Closer, Drop Dead Diva, anything on USA Network...). The finales I will be watching this year:

The Good Wife: What will happen when Alicia confronts Kalinda? Is Peter the enemy now...has he always been the enemy? I'm excited.

The Event: Will our disparate and scattered group of heroes band together to stop the aliens from committing genocide against the inhabitants of Earth? I'm excited.

Greys Anatomy: Can they even attempt to top last years crazed gunman episode? I'm not excited.
Private Practice: Will Charlotte and Cooper make it down the aisle? Will Sam and Addison reconcile? Where is Naomi?!! Do the writers even care about this show anymore? I'm not excited.

House: Are there any predictions? All the characters are liars and and active participants in the ruination of their own lives. Cuddy is the culprit in her own bitterness/loneliness. House is a culprit in his own bitterness/loneliness. Same for all members of House's staff--regarding the bitterness and loneliness. I give 13 a pass given her horrible circumstances. Sigh, I'm not excited.

Is there anything good on?!

Okay, I'll get back to a regular blogging schedule this month, since I'm going to be getting out a little. Going to Columbus, OH...perhaps to Chicago. Will hit up a concert this month. Excitement.

Oh! I saw Peter, Bjorn, and John in concert last week, and found them to be awesome. Check them out if you've never heard of them:



This is old, but I really liked it at the concert. New album is called Gimme Some. Worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment