Saturday, May 14, 2011

Skinny Jeans...I hate you!


I just came to this realization about 2 minutes ago: I hate skinny jeans. I didn't know it because they are so cute, and I feel cutesy when I'm wearing them...but, truth be told: they suck.

I have several pairs of jeans, but only 3 pair that I really like and wear as if they were the only articles of clothing in the world: 3 pairs of skinny jeans. A black pair, a dark blue jean pair, and a gray/white stonewashed looking pair.

I know what you might be thinking: You wear the same 3 jeans over and over again? Yes...I really do. It's not really that frequent, because there are only 2 days a week when I can actually wear jeans: Friday and Saturday. Monday-Thursday is business casual--Yay Work!--and Sunday is church attire. Also, if I don't make it out on Friday/Saturday nights, I'm wearing sweats...so they don't get THAT much play. In any case, I've been wearing skinny jeans exclusively for about 18 months, so that I FORGOT what comfort was., until just a few minutes ago.

So, the jeans I wanted to wear today are dirty, and are currently spinning in the wash. In the meantime, I put on some regular jeans. In fact, it was my old favorite pair of jeans, long abandoned in the back of a dresser drawer. And they slid on like butter, and the softness of the fabric greeted my buttocks in a lazy "hello" of non-stretch cotton. It was awesome. It was...like...joy. And in that moment, my life with these jeans flashed before my eyes. These jeans, a white tee, and flip flops running across white sand beaches, jumping out of airplanes, hiking the black hills of South Dakota... okay, the jeans and I didn't experience all of that, but there were good times, and it was like an anthem! Like a clothing anthem of "chill." Chillness that has been long silenced by the fast and sleek fashion trend called "skinny jeans."

But I want you to think about "when."

Like, when was the last time you put on a pair of jeans w/o having to jump up and down a little bit?
When was the last time you took off a pair of jeans without having to peel them off your calves?
When was the last time you wore jeans with sneakers...don't jeans go with sneakers?!*

I'm not the type to go retro. I'll keep with the trend; but I await the day when it's over and comfort is back in style.

*I will admit that certain shoes like Chucks go very well with skinny jeans. However, legit white Nikes, or any old school tennis shoe is out of the question.

3 comments:

  1. Kristen, you are too funny. I agree, skinny jeans are cute. But, the comfy aspect is lost. Flats are cute and more comfortable than heels but sometimes I do want to wear sneakers with jeans! Great post:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The answer to your three questions is yesterday. It's nice being a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never wear skinny jeans. I like my boot cut jeans :) that I can wear sneakers with too :)

    ReplyDelete