Saturday, May 1, 2010

May FIRST!!

I won't lie to you: This has been a horrific first day of May. BUT...it is not over! There is still day yet to be lived. There are still 3 hours and 38 minutes left in this day, and for the part of it that I'm NOT burning up beneath my hair dryer, desperately trying to make it to my friend "Checker's" b-day party, I will be glad! GLAD!!

Today, I was stupid. I tried to renew the tags on my Illinois plates in Virginia, in the line...without ANY pertinent documentation. I stood in the line for quite a while before I realized: you're not prepared for this. So I left after 20 minutes of standing outside, and headed home to pick up my reports for work. I get to work...a report is missing. In the office, at 8:30 a.m., a lone tear streaked down my cheek. It landed on the "work"-stained carpet and spread into a pool of despair. I then splashed around in this pool, before driving back home to pick up the report.

Back at work, I dutifully get down to the hard work of accounting. For many hours. It was 1:30 before something other than water touched my lips. Around 4:30, I was ready to flee. I had things to do: I wanted to buy a dress for the aforementioned party and some gladiator sandals. I wanted to wash and roller set my hair. I wanted to get a quick pedicure at the sketch establishment across the street. But you know what they say: "you cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes..." Well, I didn't exactly get what I needed. I NEEDED to leave at 6. At 6, I could still go to Macy's, pick up a random sundress, race home, wash my hair, get dressed and be out the door at 8:30 to be fashionably late to the party at 9. **PAUSE - I think it is important for my readers to note that it is now 8:30 and I am sitting beneath my hair dryer - UNPAUSE** Knowing that I needed to be gone by 6, I made much ado about packing up. My computer was CLOSED. CLOSED!!! And it stayed closed for 40 min while people asked me questions about rounding. Or, I sat there, with my computer IN THE COMPUTER BAG for 20 minutes, while my boss went and found our sad-faced auditors and asked them what they thought the major issues were. THEY DON'T KNOW. How do I know? I used to BE those auditors. Then I sat there for 15 minutes, with MY KEYS IN MY HAND, while idle chatter took place about tomorrow's "game plan." At 7:29 I pulled up to my apartment building. Seething.

However, all that is behind me. The rest of the evening, which I'm hoping includes me RUNNING out of my house by 9:00 p.m. will go swimmingly. That's right SWIMMINGLY.

1 comment: