Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Working Out Sucks



As a person who has had some health problems in the past, I know that this is a dangerous statement: Working Out Sucks. Exercise is necessary, don't get me wrong, but let's not lie to each other anymore: it hurts. I've been doing the Insanity Workout, and have spent the day limping around the office. Every movement hurts. When I go into the restroom, I'm trying to maneuver around so gingerly and yet I still groan (which could give other restroom users the wrong idea about me!). Sadness. I will now enumerate the pros and cons of working out (of ME working out):

Pros for Working Out
  1. Health - regular exercise (A) controls weight...but I'm not overweight. I suppose I will be if I shun exercise forever. It also (B) combats diseases and health conditions. Blank stare.That ship has kinda sailed, but Combats does not equal Prevents. Combats is good...it's a pro.
  2. It makes you sleep like a rock - You know that sleep that you thought was reserved for "I-had-a-glass-of-wine-and-had-dreamless-sleep"? Skip the wine! Do Insanity Workout and you will be KNOCKED OUT. I've had good sleep 2 days in a row, woke up before my alarm completely rested.
  3. Feeling of accomplishment - The first night, I had to shut it off with 9 min to go. I was done for. I just couldn't do it! Second night, I finished...and I felt like I had just won Biggest Loser. Imaginary streamers were falling on my head, and confetti was sticking in my eyelashes (does that happen on Biggest Loser?). In any case, it was great.
Cons for Working Out
  1. It Hurts - Like a mutha! My legs were shaking yesterday. During the stretches. That's when you know it's chopped: when you can barely get through the stretches. Granted, I'm crazy out of shape. I could run a mile without stopping if I was forced (i.e. chased by zombies), and I can get through a zumba class w/o sitting out. However, I am not strong.  That's why I don't hold doors for people, I mean...the door is too heavy for me to wait for slow people to walk up at their leisure. (J/K! I hold doors...for people moving swiftly).
  2. It's time consuming - this is only true in the sense that the 45 min to an hour you spend working out, is time I could spend gaining weight: eating chips and ice cream while watching DVR'd tv shows. Or it's time that I could be relaxing, curled up with my newest book (currently reading A Feast for Crows).
  3.  Your Hair Gets Jacked Up - this may only be a con for people of color, but a good workout requires a good washing of the hair afterwards, and as mentioned in a previous blog (point #1 in this old post), I can't wash my hair every day. That being said, I have a small dilemma. I want to work out tonight (despite the cons), but I have a hair appointment in the morning to get a relaxer. Will this cause probs? Please help if you know (no one ever responds to my polls...so I guess I'll just have to update you with a story of either triumph, tragedy, or laziness borne out of fear).
Should I work out tonight, even thought I'm getting a hair relaxer in the morning? 


Well, I'll let you know how it works out. I might not work out b/c my legs feel like jell-o. Or maybe I'll just do light workout on the treadmill and pick Insanity back up once my hair is done. So many choices.

1 comment:

  1. I suggest 12 oz. curls as part of your workout routine. That way you don't have to worry about the hair thing.

    ReplyDelete