Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Date Tomorrow and Other Random Thoughts

Blogging is hard work.

I know this sounds stupid, but it's true! It takes quite a long time to get across my perspective in what I believe to be "my voice." Plus, all the technical issues. It took me A LONG TIME to figure out how to get Tye Tribbett's "Son of Man" to play in my Sunday post "I'm Late for For Service!" That being said...I hope someone listened to it. It's a great song.

Anyway, I have a date tomorrow--PAUSE

In that moment I thought: "that guy hasn't even called me today" then I looked at my phone and saw that I missed a call. His call. Should I call him or finish my blog post? LOST is on tonight, and I'm writing this in the 30 min. time frame I allow to pass so that I can watch the most awesome show on the planet WITHOUT commercial interruption, on TiVo. If I call him now, it will SURELY run into LOST time. It will also derail my blogging. Dilemma...

I called. No answer.--UNPAUSE

Well, maybe I have a date tomorrow; maybe I don't, based on the the events that took place in the little "time out" above. In any case, my problem with a midweek date are manifold:

1. My hair is a freaking mess. This is because I work out during the week, so my hair gets sweated out...and I just let it dry. I wash my hair ONCE a week, on Friday night--often in anticipation of a Saturday date, so it's fresh and perfect. If I wash my hair tonight: (a) I'll miss LOST, (b) it'll be super poofy tomorrow--this is week 7 of my relaxer, (c) I will be unable to work out tomorrow morning. All of these are serious issues, but (b) is actually the most serious. If it's going to look crazy anyway...why bother and trigger (a) and (c)?

Caveat:
If you're of an ethnicity other than African, you might be thinking: "You wash your hair once a week?! GROSS!" Judge not, lest ye be judged...dummy. In any case, if you had this thought you may suffer from having few to no black friends. This is nothing to be ashamed of. There are many things we don't know about your culture as well...HAHAHAHA. Puh-leeze! We learn about white culture daily in classrooms around this country. While that does not explicitly include hair care, how do we know that white people wash their hair daily, or else risk being termed a "greaser?" Osmosis? Anyway, here's a little education for you, "a la Google." If you type in Google "how often should black women wash their hair" you will get LOADS of results. All which say something along these lines:

If you are like most African-Americans, your hair is very dry and delicate. Depending on your particular hair style, you should wash and condition your hair once a week, or once every two weeks. Hair care products for other ethnicities are designed to remove oily buildup. But since African-American hair has the opposite problem, lack of oil, you don't want to strip your hair of oil by washing it too often.

Note: If I'm wrong about white people washing their hair every day please tell me. I'm always open to knowledge!!

2. My eyebrows are a little unkempt. This is because I forgot to go get them threaded in the mall last Friday. I could get them threaded tomorrow at lunch, BUT: (a) I'll miss lunch, (b) the girl I like only works on Friday; I find the other girl does not know what she is doing, (c) I'm not paying that disliked girl $12 to do a bad job on my eyebrows.

3. It rushes me. This means I either have to come to work with EVERYTHING:
(a) Change of clothes, (b) make-up [Note: I don't wear make-up to work, because first off...I hate make-up, and second...who am I trying to impress in that joint?], (c) there is no "c"...but everything ELSE had three points. It seemed right. WAIT! There is a "c": (c) I'm always late ANYWAY; this creates a lot of additional pressure.

Okay, I think that's going to be it for tonight. I had some thoughts about The Amazing Race and swimming, the tragedies of being short, why it's OK to eat chili regardless of the weather, and other random items. Perhaps another time...I want to watch LOST. I'm hoping Josh Holloway is in this episode. He is pure eye candy! I just found out his birthday is ONE day before mine! I feel a little more connected to him now. It's like Magic. Like LOST Magic...a thing of beauty.

P.S. He just called.

2 comments:

  1. Most Hispanics wash there hair every other day. It depends on their hair though :)

    So, are you going on the date tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. The date will take place. I'll try to blog afterward with light details.

    ReplyDelete