Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Lent Day SEVEN: Prodigal Son



Let me first start out by saying: today was rough! Loooong day at the office. But I still have to get my blog in . Today's reading in the 40 Days of Growth was Luke 15:11-32 and it was about "The Prodigal Son." I've already written a blog on this subject (see Instant Gratification ) but clearly it has come back around.

The Prodigal Son is actually a bit of a testy parable for me. I once heard "the prodigal son" preached in such a way that I got a little perturbed. I heard a preacher imply that the older son in the story went to hell. Like for real. And I was off-the-charts mad! Of course, I have some biblical reasons for why I disagreed with this sermon; for example, the last two verses:

And he said to him, ‘Son, you have always been with me, and all that is mine is yours. But we had to celebrate and rejoice, for this brother of yours was dead and has begun to live, and was lost and has been found.’” - Luke 11:31-32

The underlined bits, in my opinion, are crucial to my "the older son isn't SO SO bad" thinking (which will later be abandoned). But aside from my biblical reasons for disagreement, there is a much bigger reason: 

I AM the older son. I generally hate when blessings fall on people I think are hardcore sinners...even though I am also a hardcore sinner. I'm a work in progress...I'm getting over my hateration. 

--PAUSE--

Do you know the story of the prodigal son? If not, this is my really quick breakdown of the plot: 

Characters: Father, Older Son, Younger son
Expostion: Younger son wants his portion of the inheritance so he can strike out on his own. The father obliges. 
Rising Action: The son "turns up", wastes all his money and ends up in a pigsty eating pig slop (which has to be rock bottom for the son of a rich Jew). He decides to go home and offer himself as his father's servant. 
Climax: The father sees him coming from far away and runs to him, kisses and hugs him, puts a ring on his finger and throws a big party for him. 
Falling Action: The older son who is somewhere being dutiful hears the commotion and asks what's going on. They tell him the sequence of events and he gets pissed. He's never had a party. Not even a pat on the back. And he's done everything right! How is it that someone who's done everything wrong gets rewarded. He's PO'd.
Denouement: The father comes out to explain to the older son why they must celebrate (verse 31 and 32 above). 

THE END. 

 --UNPAUSE--

That seemed like a lot, but trust me, it's shorter than the 21 verses. Honestly, I identify with that older brother A LOT. I mean, I'd be mad too! I don't mind the younger son being back (I don't want him dead)! But...what about me? Is it really so evil to think: but what about me?

As such, for someone to imply he's hellbound just because he was a little testy...makes me super testy. Because I like for people to...wait for it...get what they deserve. 

Which is where people get their "hell" ammunition. They say, the older son thought the father owed him because of his "works" and the younger son presented himself to his father "in faith." So one was righteous and the other was garbage. 

NEWSFLASH: Everyone is garbage!

Luckily we have a "different strokes for different folks" kind of grace. God knows where your foolishness lives. God knows where grace needs to be applied in us and for us. So, in my opinion, all we see here are two sons with two different sorts of problems:
  • One lacks self-control. And he didn't return in some amazing faith...he simply ran out of money. And he came looking to earn his keep as a servant. God doesn't want your love and respect only when you're at rock bottom. God has not called us to "rock bottom worship" and guilty service.
  • One lacks humility and puts more stock into his actions than his actual relationship with his father. This guy is a SON, but he's acting like a hired hand looking for payment. As such, when his pride got hurt he threw a temper tantrum. And God definitely hasn't called us to that either.
Both sons are dumb. But both of their foolishness gets the same response: LOVE. 

If that's what you're looking for. The context does matter. Jesus is speaking to Pharisees. He's speaking to a whole group of older brothers. But just the fact that he was speaking to them speaks of his love for them. Sometimes we talk about the Pharisees as if Jesus hated them. Which is ridiculous. Jesus loved them, and came to save them. Just like the rest. 

The prodigal son is a story about the lengths that God will go in order to save the lost. Why is only the young son "the lost" when the father is outside pleading with the older brother?

Believe me. Regardless of who you are: the unrighteous or the self-righteous...God is pleading with you! God is looking for you. God is loving you, and pouring grace out on you. 

The Father in the story is a good father. To both of the sons. So, it doesn't matter what kind of bad kid you are (I'm the arrogant, stuck up kid).

You are still loved.




 



No comments:

Post a Comment