Monday, March 23, 2015

Day 29: I Ain't No Punk!


"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

I'm not ashamed to say I had no idea that was a Gandhi quote. But I am ashamed. But I'm not. But I am.  I first heard that quote in an awesome kid's movie called The Buttercream Gang. It was hokie...but good. There's this one scene where a friend-turned-bully tries to steal someone's bike: 
The gang!

Bad guy: What if I take that bike away from you? What then?!
Nice kid: (handing the bike over) Here. Take it.
Bad guy: What do you think you're doing?!
Nice kid: Now you don't have to take it.

Then he just walked home bike-less.

Heartwarming when you're watching it on the screen. But...it also seems like a "punk" move and nobody wants to be a punk. 

I realized by a quick urban dictionary check, that the definition of "punk" that I grew up with
may not be universal. To some, punk is a style of music and dress. It has to do with colored hair, and spiky jewelry and aggressive rock music.

But to me, the phrase "I Ain't No Punk" is something else altogether. I found a great quote, so I'm going to have to give credit:

“I ain’t no punk,” is of course corner-talk for “I am foolish enough to mortgage my life on even the pettiest act of perceived disrespect.” - Ta-nehesi Coates, The Logic of I Ain't No Punk

It's tit-for-tat. There's no such thing as "let it go." It's the street version of "an eye for an eye."

Which leads us to today's scripture:

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also. Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.
- Matthew 5:38-42 

This has become one of my favorite scriptures. Why? Because people won't agree on it. When I was growing up, I thought "turn the other cheek" meant "let it go." Forgive this person, and move on. But it doesn't really mean that. It means: oh you got slapped? Get slapped again.

...

Wait a minute. If someone wants your shirt, give them your coat? Something about this sounds like a bit much.

In my opinion, this JC interpretation seems the most changed from the Old Testament scripture. In the Old Testament, it's not revenge that is being sought, but justice. You receive harm in proportion to how you have harmed others. Fair is fair. But in Matthew 5, Jesus says set aside your need for justice and give mercy. 

That's workable, except He's actually requesting more than mercy. And that's where people (myself included) start to bristle. Jesus knows what He's doing though. He's asking us to be like Him.

Christians love contrasting mercy and grace: 
  • Mercy - not getting the punishment you deserve
  • Grace - getting a benefit you didn't deserve
Hallelujah! Thank Jesus for grace! 

But we don't like to show grace, because then we're letting people "walk all over us." 

Ummm...right! Get walked on. Don't RESIST the evil person. I know those are some harsh and hard to hear words, but Jesus didn't resist when they dragged Him from judgment hall to judgment hall. He didn't resist when they beat Him. Or when they nailed Him to the cross. And in His final moments he yells out: 

"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." - Luke 23:34

What a moment for intercessory prayer! 
 
Yet, when I'm wronged, all I can say is: I ain't no punk? 


No comments:

Post a Comment