Thursday, March 5, 2015

Lent, Day FOURTEEN: Dress the Part

As a society, we put a lot of emphasis on appearance. I was trying to think up cool fashion quotes, but could really only think of one:

"The clothes make the man" - Mark Twain, no Erasmus, no...it's really old

So I made my way to Google, and found a lot of other cute (or really intense) quotes about clothes:
  • "Just around the corner in every woman's mind - is a lovely dress, a wonderful suit, or entire costume which will make an enchanting new creature of her." - Wilhela Cushman, Fashion Editor 
  • "Know, first, who you are; and then adorn yourself accordingly." - Epictetus 
  • "Adornment is never anything except a reflection of the heart" - Coco Chanel
  • "Carelessness in dressing is moral suicide." - Honore de Balzac
Daaaaang! This is serious business! What you put on obviously matters a ton. No more going to the grocery store in sweat pants: that's moral suicide. Hopefully, you can detect my sarcastic tone. However, this is real for many people. And I, too, love a man in a well-tailored suit (see Zo In Sung above). It doesn't make me automatically think he's a nice person, but it does make me think he's hot/hott/hawt. Beautiful clothing can go a long long way. I recently bought two Diane von Furstenberg wrap dresses and wore them to work with these soft leather Vince Camuto booties. And you would think no one had ever seen me before. "You should always dress this way" one person said. "Where are you going tonight?!" said another. "Nice dress," "Love your shoes," etc., etc. all day long. I realize now, it was that praise that created one of my New Year's Resolutions: buy a new dress every month. It was that praise that had me wanting a dress I saw on The Good Wife (I looked it up online, over $1000...I still clicked on it. Luckily, it was sold out!).

The Good Wife dress
I felt like the clothes were making me. I was starting to understand friends and family members who were super obsessed with what they put on. What they put on changed the way other people saw them.

So, I guess the question is: what do I want to look like?

Today's reading is still in Colossians. It is, in fact, just the next few verses:

So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.
  - Colossians 3:12-17

Upon reading this scripture, I was immediately a little sad. Because, I'm dressed inappropriately. I'm looking at the language in these verses thinking: who knew there was such a thing as spiritual accessories?! Paul is telling the reader to put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. And above all to put on love.

As a Christian, I've gotten into the habit of thinking that God works those qualities into my skin. That they become like part of my naked truth. So, I don't really have to do anything. One day, I'll just wake up and realize in the shower that I'm covered with this second skin of love, compassion, kindness, etc. It'll just be part of who I am. And maybe it will! But not because it's tatted on my skin, but because I wear those things so much that they become a part of my identity. It's a calculated move to dress the part. The part of follower of Christ. The part of disciple of Jesus. I have to earnestly seek those qualities, like I'm hunting for a bargain at TJ Maxx. I have to purposely (and prayerfully) put on those matching articles of spiritual clothing and wear them every day to the point that you can't imagine me without them on. Like Steve Jobs in a black turtleneck, blue jeans, and New Balance sneakers. Like Pee-Wee Herman in that grey suit and red bow tie.  The day I'm indifferent, cruel, prideful, hateful, and impatient should be like the day Barack Obama wore that tan suit! Minds should be blown!

The Audacity of Taupe

We spend so much time putting on the perfect outfit before we leave the house, but are we dressed for the part that we claim to be playing? Or are we outfitted in hypocrisy?

"...By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." - John 13:35

No comments:

Post a Comment