Monday, March 2, 2015

Lent. Day. ELEVEN - I want to move to Philly!

There is strength in numbers. In most circumstances this is true. For example:
sidekicks matter
  1. $2 is stronger than $1
  2. In a fight, I'd hate for odds to be 2 to 1 in my enemy's favor
  3. Everyone was sad when the 5-piece chicken nugget was reduced to a 4 piece
  4. Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up - Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
So, it's even a biblical concept, and we see that there is potentially "woe" to reduced numbers. But the thing about "strength in numbers" is that it's obvious. It's to be expected. If there's an auction and you have $2 and I have $1, it's a given that you beat me. In the fight, it would be a story of triumph for me to win against two opponents. It's only normal to become irate at the idea of one less nugget for the same price you paid for five. And it's definitely, true that "one is the loneliest" number. How many single people have worried about choking on a piece of food alone in their apartment? You generally have one question: "How long before they find my body?" But all of that is normal.

Today's reading is from the scary book again: Revelation.

I know your deeds. Behold, I have put before you an open door which no one can shut, because you have a little power, and have kept My word, and have not denied My name. Behold, I will cause those of the synagogue of Satan, who say that they are Jews and are not, but lie—I will make them come and bow down at your feet, and make them know that I have loved you. Because you have kept the word of My perseverance, I also will keep you from the hour of testing, that hour which is about to come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. I am coming quickly; hold fast what you have, so that no one will take your crown. - Revelation 3:8-11

This is the letter to the church in Philadelphia. Of the seven churches mentioned in the book of Revelation...this is clearly the best one. It does not receive a rebuke; there are no disparaging words for Philly. No, this church is commended.

I like why they are commended: "because you have a little power." Most theologians take this to mean they were few in number. They had little influence. They were a serious minority in their environment. When something is called out as little, there is generally a comparative force somewhere else exerting pressure on that little strength in order to reduce it to a big weakness. But that didn't happen to the Philadelphians. They kept God's word, and did not deny God's name. As such, the comparative force would be made to recognize the strength of the few. That force will have to recognize the power of the seemingly powerless. And where did that strength and power come from? It doesn't say it right out, but I think it comes from that love God mentioned and from perseverance.

This is actually my favorite part of this scripture: "Because you have kept the word of My perseverance..."

What...does that mean?!

Perseverance - steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success

 I can understand the perseverance of the Philadelphians. They are suffering persecution while they wait on their promised reward from God. But no, if they were trusting in their own perseverance...they would certainly fall. Our steadfastness is faulty. And so they had to put their trust and their faith in the perseverance of God. He is doing something, despite what it looks like. Despite the fact that they'd been persecuted. Despite the fact that they'd been waiting. They kept the word of God's perseverance, Christ's promise that he goes to "prepare a place." 

I grew up being compared to the church in Laodicea. They get blasted (see Revelation 3:14-22). But, man, I want to move to Philly!  Is that okay? Can I trust in the word of God's perseverance? 

...I think it's moving day.









No comments:

Post a Comment