Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Lent Day 13: Hidden in Christ


In the single girl's world of online dating, there is a question that I get asked a lot: "What are you looking for?" It's not an easy question to answer for a few reasons:
  1. A huge part of me thinks I'll know it when I see it
  2. If I'm too specific I might accidentally disqualify this nice fellow
  3. Sometimes I'm not really looking, but rather putting myself out there to be found
  4. I'm looking for the wrong thing and don't want to admit it
That's just in the microcosm of dating. There's a whole different set of answers when interviewers ask what I'm looking for in a job.Or at the car dealership when they ask what I'm looking for in a car. But what is the answer to the big question.? What is the answer to the question that is legitimately running my show: what are you looking for in your life? What are you seeking?

At the microcosm level, it's difficult to answer...but when we zoom out my mind becomes scattered. It's like the search area for what I'm looking for just increased exponentially. So I'm out there casting the net very wide, and when I can find the illusive things I'm looking for, I start to settle for alternatives. I start to actually look for the alternatives.

But in today's reading Paul is telling the believers at Colossians to be laser focused.

Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory. 
- Colossians 3:1-4

The actual reading goes through verse 11, but this is the part that I zeroed in on. And I only have a couple of points: 

Point #1: Keep Seeking
The word "if" is generally interpreted as "since" by most theologians. So, since you have been raised up with Christ, "keep seeking." This implies that you started out looking for the right things. You started out looking in the right place: above. Where Christ is. 

Why do we increase our search area? We start seeking things...below, expecting them to be as fulfilling as the things which are above. We look outside Christ for a life that is hidden in Him. 

Point #2: Hidden in Christ
This point is a lot like the first, except it includes the fact that you've died. I think that is a really hard concept because I don't feel dead. I'm here, but the old life--the one apart from God--is over. Yet I'm still looking for the fulfillment of life in the old spots. Still looking at temporary and physical elements as the building blocks for eternal and spiritual joy and peace. It's like playing a cosmic game of "hot and cold" and I'm waaaaay cold. Life is hidden in Christ. So that's what I have to look for. 

What are you looking for?

No comments:

Post a Comment