Sunday, August 22, 2010

Impromptu Haiku Movie Review: Eat, Pray, Love


Dispassionate Life
Accept it? Or strive for change?
Learn how to be here.

Eat, Pray, Love is the new film out starring Julia Roberts, based on the acclaimed memoir by Elizabeth Gilbert. I'll tell you this, it wasn't the BEST movie I've ever seen...but I felt it was thought provocative. I didn't read the book, so I'm not sure what I missed out on. But the movie seemingly left out much of the suffering and soul-searching that should have served as the impetus for her "quest." The movie made it more like Liz was a bored, disenchanted wife who went on a trip so she could stop being focused on relationships. I understand from fans of the book that there is MORE to it than that.

But weak plot development notwithstanding, I still feel like women (and men too!) can identify with the character's main quest. She's searching for what everyone wants: happiness. My take-away from the movie was something that I've been thinking of for a long time: We can't be happy because we've already decided what "happy" is and are in pursuit of that and only that. The movie shows what happens when you "Let Yourself Go." There's a scene in the movie where Liz is laying on the floor of her boyfriend's apartment, crying. She can't be in the bed with him...and she says: "I don't know how to be here." This is the point of the whole movie. The movie is about opening up, about being available spiritually for what's out there, and about learning how to simply "be" in this life. And we see Liz go for it, through the pleasure of food in Italy, through spiritual enlightenment in India, to finding love again in Bali. And while she ate, I laughed. While she prayed, I reflected. And when she loved, I waxed a little jealous. So all in all, I was entertained.

Honorable mention to Javier Bardem, who in my opinion is the epitome of "sexy ugly!" I love him, please meet ME in Bali! Also, props go out to Viola Davis, I like seeing her in movies...her dry wit cracks me up, and I like the bff action.

All in all, decent film. Can be seen in the theaters, but if you wanted excellence, you should wait for DVD.

2 comments:

  1. Impromptu Comment Haiku

    Icky pasta;
    Inexplicable elephant;
    Javier? Eh. James!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think James Franco looks dirty...all the time.

    ReplyDelete