Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sunday Post - What's my Purpose?

It's been a really long time since I wrote a "Sunday Post." I think there is more to be said on faith, but this week I was thinking about being a disciple of Christ.

We all know that we're supposed to be witnesses, that our light is supposed to shine, and that we're supposed to "teach all nations" blah, blah, blah. However, sometimes it seems like that is someone else's job. It's someone else's purpose. But then I had this random thought: "if I put on Christ..."

Sometimes that's how a good Bible study starts: with a super random thought.

What is My Purpose?

Everyone has purpose issues. Everyone is confused about their goals in life. But, as Christians, if we have wisdom…we have determined that what is TRUE and RIGHT is for our purpose to be aligned with God’s purpose.

But what does God want from me? We find our purpose clearly laid out in Romans 8:29:

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Is it crazy, that of all the things I think I SHOULD be in this life, I'm really supposed to simply be JUST like Christ? God wants me to want…what HE wants. God wants me to LOVE what HE loves. God wants me to DO what HE would do. If my purpose is to be just like Christ, then His goals must be MY goals.

Kind of takes away some of the confusion about what I should be striving for...

What are the Goals of Christ?

The best way to determine which goals I should take on, I should see what Jesus actually came to do...what were dude's goals?

  1. I Timothy 1:15: "This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners
  2. Mark 2:17: and Jesus said… “They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."
  3. Luke 19:10 "For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost."
  4. John 12:46 "I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on Me should not abide in darkness.

So we’ve heard why Christ came. We’ve heard his goals: to save sinners by seeking the lost and sick, and to be a light in the world. But what does that mean for me? I'm not Christ...I can't SAVE anyone. My job is faith. Bada bing...bada boom. BUT WAIT, because Christ had one more goal: To send.

John 20:21: "As My Father hath sent Me, even so send I you."

He sends you,

1. To SEEK those who are lost, and those who are sick!

a. To seek them! This is deep, because we like them to “come to us” or we ask God to “send them to us.” But that wasn’t Christ’s approach. We are to seek those who need Christ.

He sends you,

2. To be a Light in the World.

a. Matthew 5:14-16 says: Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

"As My Father hath sent Me, even so send I you." (A little dramatic reiteration…)

Even so, Christ sends YOU. He sends you. He sends me. Do we accept the call? There was a time when we all sat in church as lost sinners. There was a time when we sat in congregations as seekers for something more, and someone asked us to accept a call. Then, it was the call to salvation. Then, it was the call to His Grace. But, now, this is something else. Now, it is a call to true purpose. This is a call to be more like Christ by taking on His mission…

Disclaimer: This is not a “call via blog.” No, no, no...I'm not admonishing anyone to take to the field. I'm talking to and about ME. Knowing this (the aforementioned) do I have a right to still act aimless? Do I have a right to still look at my life and say "what now Lord?"

That random thought kind of haunts me: “If I put on Christ”...then I put on His mission.

Convicted...



No comments:

Post a Comment